Chiropractic care is a conservative, comprehensive and holistic approach that aims to improve the quality of life for anyone experiencing a neuromusculoskeletal condition, or disorders of the joints, nerves and muscles. Numerous research studies have shown services provided by chiropractic physicians are both safe and effective. The natural, whole-body and cost-effective approach of chiropractic care can treat and improve a variety of conditions.
The Importance of a Healthy Spine
Your spine is the most important part of your kinetic chain and it allows you to safely and effectively transmit force through your core into your extremities. Proper posture and stabilization of the spine is critical to staying out of pain and preventing future injuries. An unhealthy spine, or misaligned spine, can lead to dysfunction throughout other parts of the body. Chiropractic care prioritizes spinal mechanics because it’s the first and most important step to optimize movement efficiency, maximize force production of the extremities and avoid injury. Because there can be several causes of pain, an objective diagnosis is important in order to target and treat the underlying condition.
A Variety of Treatment Options
Specific chiropractic manipulations or adjustments, combined with physiological therapeutic treatments can help correct both immediate and fundamental causes of pain while also helping to prevent future conditions. The American Chiropractic Association (ACA) cites research from Spine that states, “Manual-thrust manipulation provides greater short-term reductions in self-reported disability and pain compared with usual medical care. 94 percent of the manual-thrust manipulation group achieved greater than 30 percent reduction in pain compared with 69 percent of usual medical care." Some specific treatment methods beyond adjustment include:
- Active Release Technique (ART): a process that breaks down scar tissue and frees entrapped nerves;
- Exercise: a program that stretches and strengthens;
- Heat and ice therapy: combining heat and ice can help to restore blood flow to the area and promote faster healing;
- Soft tissue massage: can reduce swelling and inflammation, improve circulation and encourage quicker healing;
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulators (TENS): electrodes placed over the painful area can help block the transmission of pain signals along the nerves and release endorphins in the body;
- Corrective Rehabilitation: a series of exercises that can improve movement and posture;
- Patient education: lifestyle modifications, nutritional programs, self-care strategies etc.
Is It Cost Effective?
According to a study that analyzed 85,000 Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) beneficiaries in Tennessee over a two-year span, low back pain initiated with a doctor of chiropractic (DC) saved 40 percent on health care costs when compared with care initiated through a medical doctor (MD). Prescription medications that are prescribed by a medical doctor can be harmful and/or addictive and also very expensive. Pain mediation can treat surface symptoms and mask underlying causes of pain, but they will most likely reappear with discontinued use. With the severity of the rising opioid addiction in the U.S., patients should seek chiropractic care first before visiting a MD.
Chiropractic care is a holistic, cost-effective approach to treating neuromusculoskeletal conditions. Make an appointment with us today to discuss your treatment options at http://www.carolinaactivehealth.com/contact-us/.